Friday, March 14, 2008

Müllheim

Müllheim area is a pretty little area. I didn't spend much time getting to know the towns of Switzerland, as I only visited the church, the cemetery and the local house of records. I had made an appointment with the Pastor in Müllheim but he stood me up three seperate dates and times. On a later trip my Aunt Reta was able to make contact with him.

The cemetery is one of the largest I saw. It is beautiful but also typical of most cemeteries of our ancestors. Keep in mind that the land is very precious and must be fully used and recycled. The graves are removed and replaced about every 25 years. I didn't see any older than 50 years. It's nice to visit, but of little benefit for genealogy purposes.

I have struggled getting any help in finding the Gubler home. One man from the Pfyn ward told me that he thought it was one of the nicer homes and we went up and down the streets but could not find it. Same with the Hafen home.

I loved seeing the different architecture as I traveled from one canton to the next. It is fun to see all of the differences.

I didn't have much success in Muellheim. The Gubler's I called didn't speak English or they did not know their ancestry. I feel badly that I was not able to speak to the Pastor and ask if he had a picture of the Muellheim Jodelfest Uniform. I understand they are easily identified from one village to the next and it would be great to have a picture of theirs.

1 comment:

mom said...

I am a direct descendant of the Gubler family - my Great Grandmother Anna Mary Gubler, daughter of Johannes Gubler (John) and Maria Ursula Muller. They were from Mullheim, Thurgau, Switzerland. Anna Mary married Samuel Wittwer. They were part of the Swiss immigrants who settled in Santa Clara, UT. I would be interested in any information regarding "Gubler's."